Welcome to Edenred
NYC Health + Hospitals Commuter Benefits Provider
NYC Health and Hospitals offers employees a voluntary transit program to fund the purchase of various commuting options such as MetroCards, transit passes, parking, etc.
Under the provisions of Internal Revenue Code (IRC) Section 132, NYC Health and Hospitals is able to provide programs through which an employee can pay for work-related commuting (up to $300 pre-tax a month in 2023) and parking (up to $300 pre-tax a month in 2023) with payroll deductions. This reduces the employee’s payroll tax withholdings, thereby saving the employee money.
About Edenred Benefits
As of March 1, 2023, NYC Health and Hospitals is working with a new commuter benefits provider, Edenred Benefits. Edenred offers a modern user experience, exceptional customer service, a contactless card and micromobility commuting options. Edenred is the also the commuter benefits provider for many other New York City agencies.
Through pre-tax payroll deductions to Edenred, employees can choose to:
- Have their monthly/annual transit passes or vouchers mailed to their home address.
- Select a prepaid card allowing employees to purchase transit fare or pay for parking.
- Have parking and vanpools paid directly by Edenred from your available account funds get reimbursed for out of pocket parking expenses.
Order Due Date
The fourth of the month is the last date to order for the following month’s benefits. For example, If you need benefits for April, place your order by March 4th.
Payroll Deduction Dates
For a complete list of payroll deductions, view the 2023 deduction calendar.
Example Deduction Schedule (March 2023 Benefit Month)
February Paycheck Date
Benefit Deduction Date
Administrative Fee Deduction Date
2/3/23 and 2/17/23
2/10/23 and 2/24/23
2/3/23, 2/10/23, 2/17/23 and 2/24/23
2/17/23 and 2/24/23
Popular New York City product offerings
Commuter Card for Transit & Parking
A prepaid Mastercard that allows employees to purchase transit fare from an approved transit provider (i.e. a MetroCard vending machine) and/or pay for parking expenses at an approved parking facility, all with the same card.
- Transit – Restricted to $132 per month – No Fee
- Transit – Unrestricted amount other than $132 –Monthly fee of $1.60
- Parking – As indicated by the employee’s need – Monthly fee of $2.05
MTA Annual Transit Card
The MTA Annual Transit Card allows employees unlimited rides on NYC regular (non-express) busses and subways for up to 12 consecutive months. Employees will receive one card for the year.
Cost: $132 per month – No fee
Edenred can facilitate transit passes and tickets mailed directly to employees home address each month. This can save employees time by avoiding long lines to purchase transit passes.
Cost: As indicated by the employee’s need – Monthly fee of $2.05
Utilize bikes or e-scooters for your commute to work.
Cost: As indicated by the employee’s need – 2% processing fee will be added to the order amount at the time the employee places the order
Frequently Asked Questions
When was the last benefit month with WageWorks?
The last benefit month for WageWorks was February 2023. As of March 1, 2023, Edenred Benefits is your new commuter benefits provider.
What will happen to the money I had in my WageWorks account(s)?
All pre-tax balances will be moved over to your new Edenred Benefits account. Employees will be able to use these funds beginning with the May benefit month. Post-tax balances will be returned directly to the employee via check or credit card refund from WageWorks.
What is the deduction schedule with Edenred?
For employees who are paid bi-weekly, who had deductions taken out 2 times/month with WageWorks, deductions will now be taken out 1 time/month with Edenred. For employees paid weekly, who had deductions taken 4 times/month with WageWorks, deductions will now be taken out 2 times/month with Edenred.
Are there administrative fees involved with this benefit?
Yes. Similar to WageWorks, there is a small unavoidable administrative fee. However, Edenred fees are lower.
- Edenred Commuter Card – Restricted (if enrolling for $132 benefit): No Fee (same as WageWorks)
- Edenred Commuter Card – Unrestricted (no limit): Monthly fee of $1.60 (WageWorks $1.77)
- Annual Transit Card: No fee (same as WageWorks)
- Transit Passes: Monthly fee of $2.05 (WageWorks $3.05)
- Parking Pass: Monthly fee of $2.05 (WageWorks $3.05)
- Micromobility (e.g. bikes, e-scooters): 2% processing fee will be added to the order amount at the time the employee places the order (not available with WageWorks)
Will I get a new card?
Yes, Edenred mails out new cards prior to the start of the first benefit month. In the event that you do not receive your new card by your first benefit month, please log into your account and go to My Account > Order History and click on Didn’t Receive Card.
How to Enroll
Edenred is a self-managed benefit. This means new employees must first create an account on the Edenred website, then place an order. Edenred will send a notification to the NYC Health and Hospitals payroll department to start employee deductions. Existing employees who were transitioned from the previous vendor WageWorks/TransitChek to Edenred must also create an account to update, cancel or change their benefit election. NYC Health and Hospitals does not need to get involved. It’s that simple!
- Sign up for an account with Edenred to verify or place a new order
- Select ‘Employee’, then ‘New User Sign up’
- Enter your company ID: 47911
- Enter your first name, last name, and home zip code exactly as is appears on your employer’s records
- Confirm your email address as your username, and create a password
Placing orders on Edenred’s site is a breeze! Once logged into your account, click the Place an Order button from the menu. From there you will see the options you can choose from.
Public & Shared Transportation options:
- Train: Subway, commuter rail and trolley services
- Bus: Use a prepaid card to purchase fair or a pass from your local transit authority
- Van Pool: Vans that hold 6 or more passengers
- Ferry: Water taxi and other options available
- Bikes & eVehicles: use a prepaid card to pay for purchases at bike shops as well as bike sharing, e-scooter rentals and e-moped rentals
- Edenred Commuter Card: Use a prepaid card to pay for parking
- Direct Pay: Have Edenred pay your parking facility directly
- Reimburse Me: Get reimbursed for your out of pocket parking expenses