There’s nothing like a global pandemic to spark people’s interest in wellness and self-care. And while terms like these might feel like the topic du jour, there are some practical reasons to build wellness into your corporate culture.
What are wellness benefits?
Wellness plans are a type of health benefit that employers can build into compensation packages that are outside what typical health plans offer. Examples include gym memberships, mental health support, nutritional counseling, financial wellness, and more.
When you choose the right program, wellness benefits can help increase productivity by reducing absenteeism, increasing productivity, and helping to attract and retain talented employees.
How wellness plans benefit the employee
To attract and retain workers in a competitive climate, it’s more important than ever to offer creative solutions to your workforce’s everyday problems.
Wellness benefits can take several forms:
- Commuter benefits help create a happier, stress-free work environment by solving some of the challenges employees face during their commute.
- Physical fitness benefits help employees stay in good physical shape and decompress outside of work, reducing stress levels.
- Nutritional counseling can help employees maintain a healthy and balanced diet which helps promote overall well-being.
- Therapy and counseling benefits allow employees to prioritize their mental health.
- Financial wellness benefits help your employees manage their money, a significant source of stress for many Americans.
- And more.
How wellness plans benefit the company
According to one survey by SHRM, more than 90 percent of business leaders say that promoting wellness can directly affect employee productivity and performance.
Workplace wellness programs are on the rise, and companies who offer such programs saw a significant increase in productivity among workers, according to recent studies. Researchers studied one wellness program and found that all employees who participated improved productivity by an average of one entire workday per month!
Happier and healthier employees are better performing employees. However, it is essential to pick the right plan for your group. For instance, if you are an urban-based company, commuter benefits, which allow employees to use pre-tax dollars towards commuting costs like public transit, rideshares, and qualified parking expenses, makes sense. But this wouldn’t be as attractive if you’re in a suburban area with fewer transit options or if you have primarily remote workers. Knowing the needs of your employees and working with a trusted provider will help you pick the plan that’s right for your organization.
If you are considering introducing commuter benefits, or another form of wellness package, we’ll be happy to help you choose the one that will motivate your group. Schedule a meeting with us today!